Thursday, March 22, 2012

From Book to Blurb



This month, I’d like to pay homage to Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking Glass.  I love his wit and wordplay more than is healthy.

The Line: “If you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you.

Notes: Chez and Lasca are foster brother and sister.  They star in my novel, Without Wings.  Here is a moment from their past.  Enjoy!





*~*~*




We'd both known this day was coming.  Hell, it’s been written on the kitchen calendar in big, fat, red letters for months.  Somehow, I still knew she’d cry.

“Oh, c’mon!  Stop with the waterworks already,” I practically beg as I pat her shoulder awkwardly.  “This is supposed to be a happy day for me.”

“I know.  I’m doing my best to ruin it for you,” she explains, wiping at her eyes with her shirt sleeve.  Hey, wait a minute.  I recognize this particular plaid…

“Great.  Now you’re abusing my clothes and I’m not even gone yet!”

That wins me a wobbly smile.

“You’re gonna be OK,” I counsel.  “I’ve taught you everything I know about self-defense.  If anyone gives you a hard time—”

“I’ll take it out on the freshmen.”

“Now that you’re officially a sophomore, you have that right,” I allow.

“You should cancel this army thing.”

“Can’t,” I tell her.  “They don’t cancel inductions.  And it’s the Marines, not the Army.”

“Whatever,” she grouches.

I grin.  “Tell you what, Lasca,” I say, bracing my hands on her shoulders and leaning down so I can look her in her reddened eyes.  “If you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you.”  Ugh, how corny.  I can’t believe I just said that.

She gives me a suspicious look.  Yeah, that had been pretty out of character for me.  She demands, “Is that the best deal I’m gonna get?”

“Sure is.”

“It’s crappy.”

“Take it or leave it, pop tart.”

She takes it.  I knew she would.  She’s my little sister, after all, and big brother always knows best.  She doesn’t even squirm when I give her my biggest bear hug.

“Chez?”

“Yeah, squirt?”

She speaks into my collar, “If you get hurt, I’ll hunt you down and kill you.  Slowly.  With toothpicks.”

I chuckle.  I wouldn’t put it past her.


SOURCE: Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
Chapter Seven: The Lion and the Unicorn
Read the book for free on Literature.org

1 comment:

  1. Eeeeee!! I'm pretty sure you can see my HUGE grin after reading this. I totally adore the glimpse you gave us showing the sibling!love. :D And, d'aw! I love the "pop tart" nickname. :)

    Great job, chickie! :D :D

    ReplyDelete